READ THE GRASS-TO-GRACE STORY OF ‘THE SHOUTING USHER’ ‘BISHOP’ UCHENNA OYEDEPO OKPALA (FT News)

His name is Uchenna Okpala but he likes to call himself Bishop Uchenna Oyedepo Okpala. As an Usher, it is part of his responsibilities to make the books of the month and messages easily accessible to worshippers every Sunday, so they don’t have to queue up at the bookstores. Uchenna has found an effective way of doing that - by shouting at the top of his voice, reeling out compelling scriptures and punchy quotes of Bishop Oyedepo, an indication that he does not only sell the books, he also reads them. He has so mastered this "shouting" art of "marketing" that he has become a delight to many a worshipper at Faith Tabernacle. Interestingly, the Master's degree holder gives out one free book everytime he is on duty with an ear-pulling instruction, "Make sure you read it". One look at him will reveal the definition of a man who has discovered something and is so convinced that it is working. As we debut the GRASS-TO-GRACE page this month, let's hear the "Bishop's" story from the horse's mouth.


THIS IS YOUR PLACE!
"I joined this commission on February 24, 2010; it was our Covenant Day of Favour. I can’t forget that encounter. It was my neighbour and friend Mr. Tony Eze. He kept inviting me to this church and I kept refusing. But on that fateful day, 23rd of February 2010, Mrs. Chinyere Ozumba, a neighbour, came to invite my wife to this church. Since my wife had three kids then, I chose to follow the woman instead of my wife, considering how difficult it would be for her to bring three kids to church here. Before then, I had a dream on the 2nd of January that I worshipped in this church even though I didn’t know the place. Why we were leaving the church that day, I remembered that I had worshipped here in the dream. And God told me, 'This is your place of worship'."

MASTER’S DEGREE AT 23 AND HAVING TRAVELLED WIDE, I HAD NOTHING TO SHOW FOR IT…
"I was an object of caricature. At that time, I was doing menial jobs, including being a brick-layer to feed my family after my 6million naira worth of goods were seized. After that Sunday encounter, I attended WOFBI (BCC), did LCC and LDC. My wife did the same. At WOFBI, I caught a Word from Exodus 23:25 that if you serve the Lord your God, He will bless your bread and water. I knew I had become a millionaire, even though there was nothing to show for it then."

I JOINED 2 SERVICE GROUPS THE SAME DAY; WORE ONE TROUSER FOR A YEAR!
“When I was about to join a service group, my Pastor took me to Environmental Group. As I was about to sign my name on the register, God said to me, “Go and serve me at the Ushering Unit.” I obeyed Him. My friends were asking how I would be able to afford the Ushers’ usual uniforms. I wore one black trouser with one shirt for one year plus. I was serving God at Zone 5 at Obadore.  I was the only one sweeping that zone and setting the communion table for four years. Although I was not after positions, I served 7 people as assistant zonal minister."

MY SOUL-WINNING INVESTMENTS AND WHY I CAN'T STOP SHOUTING
“God has given me wisdom, I have three cars. The last one came on May 11, this year. I promised God I wanted to be taking people to Church. I even planned giving my zone a bus very soon. Every Sunday I spend about N10,000 for people to come to church. So this man can’t stop shouting. Papa is in me; I took after him. If you give me 10 tapes, I will go and shout and sell them. God will always give me wisdom to know what to say. If there is anything ‘unsellable’ at the ushering department, I, Bishop Uchenna Oyedepo Okpara will sell it."

MY EXPERIENCE WITH PAPA’S BOOKS…
“There is no book I will read that I will not have an encounter. And there is no title I will sell that I will not read one. One experience is that for many years, I was dealing in contraband goods. But some two years ago, I was reading a book on prosperity – Covenant of Wealth and God spoke to me, “Leave that business for the one I will show you.” I obeyed. I abandoned goods worth over 4 million naira. Today, God is building a house worth about 12 million naira for me. God said I will build it in one year. It started on October 6 this year; it has got to the roofing stage already. Papa’s books have made me to be bold. Before I read anything, I will say, “God show me the mystery in this book.”

THE GIANT IN ME IS RISING...
"We used to be sidelined in our family, but now before anything is done in our family, I must be consulted. And when I dictate the pace, I also give the money to back it up. Serving God pays and I have seen in my life. Today, I pay school fees and house rent for people; I convey people to church and give them refreshment after service. All my converts are being taken care of today. There is none of them that will come to me with any challenge and go empty-handed, because God has wiped away my tears."

THE DAY I PAID TITHE IN MILLIONS...
"I'm into packaging and repackaging. I meet a company; I tell them I can repackage your product. I will take it to India, get new moulds from there and take these moulds to a company here in Nigeria. We will negotiate on how much they will pay me as commission. Last year, one man gave me a cheque of over 10 million naira. And I paid my tithe in millions. When I was about paying one of the tithes – N433,000, God spoke to me in my toilet, ‘Uchenna, since you have packaged this tithe, I will give you an open cheque.’”

TAKE THIS FROM ME...IT IS WORKING!
"Since I joined this commission, I have never laid my back on a sick bed. I serve God with all my life, strength, and even my voice. It is a golden voice; it doesn't crack. With service to God, you will have many things, not just money. Peace in your home and children; some big men have children but they are misbehaving. My spiritual father doesn't have any issue of concern over his children. Service to God will give you peace in your marriage and good health. My first child is 11 years old. If you see my wife now you will think we got married yesterday. Service makes me to forgive people easily."


POSTSCRIPT: Do you have a grass-to-grace story to share, call 0803-2764-536.

No comments

Theme images by cmisje. Powered by Blogger.